Thursday, October 6, 2011

New Ideas

I love it when I get a new inspiration for items that normally get tossed away!! 

http://upcycledstuff.blogspot.com/ has a fun posting about used dryer sheets.  When I read her post, I realized that I could actually be adding my dryer sheets to help make the base of my Pine Cone Fire starters which I sell on Etsy!  Great idea! Thanks Upcycled Stuff!! 



My fire starters are already made from 80-90% recycled and found items (partially used candles and old crayons go into making the wax, leaves, twigs, pine cones, wood chips and dust from other craft projects, and dryer lint all go into the base of the fire starters).  Even the wicks are from old candles or from old string rolls found at garage sales.

Really the only new things I use in the making of the fire starters are:
-The paper nut cups or paper mini-cupcake cups (and so far I've found enough of those at garage sales that I haven't had to buy any new ones!).
-The ribbon I tie the bags with (and most of that is also gotten at garage sales and thrift stores).
-The basket-filler materials (although I have found most of mine from friends and family who were throwing theirs out).  I use only paper-based or wood-based filler in my bags and baskets.  In fact, my fire starters are packaged with the paper-based basket filler and is meant to be used as part of the fire starting base!
SO
-The only truly new thing I have to buy is the cellophane or polypropylene bags that I use to package the Fire starters in. 

*Did you know that cellophane is compostable since it is made from cellulose which is from plant matter, and that polypropylene is accepted by many recycling companies - you can just add to your recycling bin  (please check your local recycling rules before doing so!).




My daughter and I are planning on making a new batch of fire starters this weekend - with a holiday theme (think pine-cone fire starters that look like decorated Christmas trees!).   I'll definitely give the dryer sheet idea a try!  Thanks again Upcycled Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you - please leave me a message here!