Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Re-covered Bookcases

Bookcases with salmon trim
trim repainted dark mohagony red
I re-covered these bookcases from a thrift store, and other than an odd shade of trim (salmon-colored), they were awesome!  I'm not sure why someone would want to get rid of something so functional and great looking (but I'm sure glad they did!!). 

I painted the trim a dark red/brown (similar in color to my mahogany dining room furniture) and presto! the bookcases now tie in beautifully with my the rest of my furniture. 






One of my craigslist bookcases, note the color and style is very modern andplain
I liked the look so much, that I am going to paint my bookcases next to my fireplace in the same colors and then build a faux mantle and fireplace surround to modernize it and make my whole living-room and dining-room cohesive!   (The bookcases next to the fireplace were $40 craigslist finds... solid wood and very modern - but just don't match my furniture's aesthetic).   Perhaps I will post a blog with pictures of them when I refinish them.


As for the thrift-shop bookcases - I placed them against my wall and loaded them up with our books, plants, baskets, and my daughter's rock collection (and if you look closely, you'll see a favorite basket which will be appearing soon in another post).  I love them!  They look so nice and inspire me to do more redecorating upgrades to my home.
The finished project - complete with cherished family belongings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you - please leave me a message here!